Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What I learned at ASOR

This might get me into trouble, but it's from memory. I sketched the Asherah loves Yahweh sherd for M upon my return and both he and Lilah embellished it: M with math and L with hair/a hat on Asherah (left). I guess she felt the need for both to have headgear. Anyway, it's true that Yahweh looks like the kool-aid man but kool-aid wasn't known in the Iron Age according to recent research so there must be something else divine going on. No one around here had any further insights into its interpretation.

Meanwhile, back at home, the tomato plants M yanked out of the garden at first frost (about 3 weeks ago) are indeed ripening in the basement. The goal was garden tomatoes for Thanksgiving, and I think we made it.

Years ago, I think when I went to Jerusalem for a year in 1998, Alysia gave me picture frame stick figures of her, Jason and Cleo so I wouldn't forget them. Well, Jason has resurfaced, and L has made sure that he joins all her other figurines and small stuffed animals in scenes around the house. Here he is eating play-doh worms (sorry Jason).


To plug Tristan's NOVA special that aired last week, here's the link to The Bible's Buried Secrets, which is good! Plenty of Dever of course, plus the other usual suspects and cameos by Michael, Tristan and many others. Although I did not make it into the final cut (ok, I was never even considered for even a brief shot in this thing - another example of ground stone specialist discrimination) this will certainly fill two future class periods, so I am grateful.

No comments: