Monday, March 9, 2009

Nerds Take Note: Lost Statue is Sekhmet

You read it here first (well, maybe not, but I came up with this independently). I have been way into Lost lately, and even started watching the first season again in my spare time. This gigantic statue was seen in last week's episode; it may or may not be the four-toed statue seen previously. Anyway, the figure is holding an ankh in each hand and has cat ears, and I say it's the Egyptian goddess Sekhmet.



Among other things, Sekhmet was the Eye of Ra, sent by the god Ra to destroy humankind. Her plan was thwarted when she got drunk off a bunch of beer dyed red to look like blood. She then became Hathor, the most important goddess in the pantheon and incidentally the Egyptian goddess of alcohol.



Here we are in a very washed-out picture taken at the Memphis zoo 5 years ago:



I'm not sure what it all means ... am I only person out there who watches Lost anymore?

3 comments:

Jesika Ellis said...

i can drink to that!

as you know, we don't watch Lost, or anything else, but this is interesting! um ... am I a nerd?

siduri1 said...

Yes, I think so. But aren't all bloggers?

iMollie said...

get OUT i saw that statue on that episode and wondered what it meant, and then easily moved on to my glass of wine and basket of crochet-ing. talk about being a nerd...

thank goodness you are the smart kind of nerd and can teach us! thank you!

and if the writers of that show do not know all that you do, we are so writing them. i'll type while you talk.