Friday, January 29, 2010

our new adult lifestyle

We are no longer staying home having fun all the time. Now M works. He doesn't actually make money though; instead, he is a slave to the Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation, and we are actually paying tuition for him to work at Bosse High School 7-3 every day. And now that our Paseo is officially out of our lives (totalled!) he walks to and fro! Through the ice and snow! In single-digit temps! It's quite heroic. And he wears a proper outfit and shoes and all that (I'll have to take a picture to prove it).

Meanwhile, I deal with the morning routine and have Vi until noon. We do storytime, go food shopping, hang out at Penny Lane, etc. Then I go to work and she is babysat until 4 or so, when M picks her up. We all reunite in the early evening already after dark, except on Mondays when M actually has to attend a class at USI across town and on Tuesdays when I teach until 8:45. All of this means that we have rather limited family time and M hardly ever sees the girls on weekdays (it's seriously depressing). It also means that I will miss the season premiere of Lost next week.

I know that most people live like this, but we haven't. We made a conscious decision to live cheaply in a tiny house with no cable and within walking distance to school so we could live on my salary. It will only be like this until the first week of May, though, and we have already gotten through three weeks of the semester. Only thirteen more to go. It's kind of flying by, actually.

Next up: baby's first birthday! Grammy is here and soon there will be cake.

2 comments:

Babs said...

Definitely a big change. I can't imagine the shock, but it sounds like you have a good system, despite the challenges. Must chat sometime. ---barbara

iMollie said...

Hang in there! Y'all can do it! Where are M's stories on the Bosse students???? I want to hear them!