Thursday, June 3, 2010

first kibbutz days, 2010

Foraging for food in Tiberias on Wednesday was a very hot endeavor. We are all ridiculously jetlagged and had to tire out the troops somehow, so we went to Tiberias and got a falafel and shopped at the shuk (open-air market) and in a supermarket. Here I'm attempting to blend in in my large drab hat (they all know I'm American; I wonder how?) while selecting produce.

The peppers were so cheap! 2 shekels a kilo, which is about 50 cents a kilo which means like 20 cents a pound or so if my math is correct. I bought a lot of red ones and hope to roast them tomorrow.


Honestly, the Tiberias shuk is very unpleasant. It's small, which is good, but it's hot, stinky, full of people yelling, lots of sticky substances on the floor, etc. But the food is so cheap. We loaded up on produce, rolls and cookies, then headed back to the car to drive to a supermarket. Need proof of how hot and humid it is here? Here's Vivi's head after the air conditioned car ride to the supermarket:

Supermarket was cool and a bit more tame, but not by much. Vivi dropped a bottle of "Hawaii" shampoo on the floor, breaking it and getting shampoo all over my and M's sandals, and dropped a 4-pack of AA batteries, breaking open the packaging. I then proceeded to the beverage aisle and picked up a bottle of our favorite cheap wine. Here is the refrigerated section, full of yum ...


Up close in the hummus section. Hooray!

1 comment:

k said...

Great to read an update from y'all! We miss you - stay cool if you can!