Monday, June 15, 2009

The broken arm

It's been a week since Lilah broke her arm climbing up the short slide on the swingset behind the house (as seen behind the snowboots in this picture).


We've been trying to downplay it, and so far it's actually sort of worked. Of course the first few days were rough, but since then she has figured out how to do pretty much everything without the use of her left hand. She's been milking it a bit ("how can I pick up my toys with one hand?"), but that's fine. Here's the splint and sling before the cast was put on:


It doesn't hurt her, and she's been great about keeping it dry and not complaining about not being able to run around outside, play on playgrounds, etc. Sadly, the cast is old-fashioned white with a grim bandage on top. Only 4 or 5 more weeks to go.

Luckily, it hasn't impeded her gardening abilities. Here's a shot of the herbs. The basil is amazing! When we get back from Maryland the garden is going to be insane, I'm sure.




And summer hasn't officially begun yet, right?

4 comments:

Jaime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaime said...

Oh wow - I broke both of my arms when I was 5. Right at the beginning of summer. My mom would put trash bags over my arms so I could sit in a wading pool with my arms hanging out ;)

She also had a 2-year-old and a 9-month-old. She said it was so frustrating because I had just learned how to feed myself, clothe myself, and even do things for my sisters. And then -- I became a baby all over again with TWO broken arms. So, I'm sure she can send some empathetic thoughts along....

Best of luck to you guys! She looks like she's coping well!

siduri1 said...

Jaime - tell your mom she's a saint ....

thank god it wasn't both arms!! Lilah's doing remarkably great with one good arm; I can't complain.

MMK and YMR said...

Sorry to hear about the arm, not so much fun in the summer. How is Miss Aviva these days???